It’s really simple to measure your windows in preparation for installing roller blinds, but it is imperative to be accurate. Here are some simple tips to help you measure your windows. It is recommended that you use a metal tape measure.
• These steps are to be followed when the roller blind is fitted inside the window recess.
• Take 3 measurements for the width of the recess window as shown in the picture.
• Take the smallest of these measurements. This is the recess width.
• Take 3 measurements for the drop of the window recess as shown in the picture below.
• Take the smallest of these measurements. This is the recess drop.
Exact Blind Measurement
• These steps are to be used when the roller blind is fitted outside the window recess.
Exact Blind Width (also known as pin width or finished blind width)
• Decide how much you wish you overlap the recess at each side. It’s recommended at least 75mm or 3 inches either side to avoid gaps of light.
• Take the overall width measurement, including the overlap. This is the Exact Blind Width.
• Note: This width includes the operating mechanism of the blind and is not the width of the cloth. See the third diagram below.
Exact Blind Drop
• Decide how much you wish to overlap the recess at the top and bottom. It is recommended at least 75mm or 3 inches at the top if the blind is required to roll up fully above the window recess.
• Take the overall drop measurement including the overlap. This is the Exact Blind Drop.
• This is used when the width of the cloth on the roller blind is important.
• Measure the width the blind cloth is required to be.
• Note: the full width of the blind will be wider than the cloth width. See diagram below.
• Take the overall drop. This is the same as the Exact Blind Drop.
Danielle Birch is an interior design and home improvement enthusiast, who likes to give tips and hints to help you make the most out of your home. She is writing on behalf of Roller Blinds Direct.
Learn about making your window coverings safer for your kids by clicking here.